When I look in the mirror I see the outward expression of who I am, the person I think everyone else sees. At the same time, I know there is more to me than the mirror can reflect. The following excerpt from Sylvia Plath’s poem Mirror expresses one’s desire to know their true self. “Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me. Searching my reaches for what she really is.”


While there is plenty of fodder for a philosophical discussion of the ‘self’, for the moment I will focus on the physical composition of the human body, our cells, our DNA. As technology advances we are gaining a more sophisticated understanding of the human body.

 

Outnumbered

 

Molecular biologists inform us that there are 10 times more microbial cells on and in our bodies than there are human cells, this means we are 90 percent microbial and 10 percent human. Thank goodness the larger human cells give us our form, however in terms of numbers, they are sparse. Not only are we outnumbered by our bacteria, our interrelationship is such that we could not survive without them.

 

When it comes to our DNA, only 3% of it is required to keep an adult body functioning. The other 97% is said to be an incredible database of memories.

 

Non-Physical Phenomena

 

Researchers are also looking beyond the physical and into the metaphysical realms. From the scientific discovery of a continued state of consciousness after death to the study of the cerebral spinal fluid as the conveyor of the “I Am” source energy in our physical bodies, today’s researchers are bridging the gap between science and spirituality.

 

Nikola Tesla is quoted as saying, “The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” We are living in this time of exponential growth and discovery.

 

Self and Selflessness

 

As clinical knowledge doubles every 18 months we are learning more and more about the make up of the human body. The revelations are providing a broader platform from which to view our true essence. American Buddhist writer and academic, Robert Thurman states, “The human opportunity and the human job is to come to an understanding of the self, even if you call that understanding the realization of selflessness.”

 

The following is a recent interaction I had during a session with one of my clients.

 

Client: What was it you started the session with?

 

Me: Craniosacral therapy.

 

Client: It felt like I left my body a few times.

 

My client evidently experienced astral travel, a state where one can expand their level of consciousness by travelling outside the physical body. Although it was not the goal to have my client leave her body, these occurrences as well as near-death experiences provide evidence that we exist in some form or another without our physical ‘container’.

 

Perhaps it is as Dr. Mauro Zappaterra believes, “The ‘I Am’ is the inner sense of beingness, the inner perception of existence.” The outer appearance is simply the packaging, and we all know better than to judge a book by its cover.

 

Karen Gay, A-Roaming Bodyworker, is a holistic health practitioner practicing in Hanoi. For information on the types of services provided, visit a-roamingbodyworker.com

Tagged under
Karen Gay

A true global citizen, Karen has lived and travelled overseas for more than 20 years. Her current journey has led her down the rabbit hole. She's not sure she'll resurface. You can follow her on twitter.com/KRMG and facebook.com/a.roaming.bodyworker

Website: a-roamingbodyworker.com

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.Basic HTML code is allowed.

Online Partners

Top