Taking less than 30 minutes to make, this hearty, warming soup uses basic cupboard ingredients. Want some extra kick? Then add extra chili powder. Want to adjust the ingredients? Then add or take out according to what you like.
— 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
— 500g of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
— 1 onion, chopped
— 3 cloves of garlic, minced
— 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
— 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
— 1 15oz can of chopped tomatoes and chilli
— 1 15oz can of kidney beans
— 6 cups of chicken stock
— 1 tbsp of chilli powder
— 2 tsp of ground cumin
— 2 tbsp of tomato paste
— 1 tsp of dried oregano
— Juice of one lime
— Half cup of chopped cilantro
— 2 large tortillas, toasted in the oven
— Cream cheese for topping
1) Add the oil to a large soup pot and preheat it over medium-high heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear it on all sides until golden brown. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
2) Next, add another tablespoon of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook them for about five minutes.
3) Add the chilli powder, cumin and oregano along with the tomato paste, cook and stir for one minute.
4) Add the canned tomatoes, kidney beans and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Place the chicken back in the sauce. Lower the heat to medium. Cook for about 25 minute.
5) Shred or chop the chicken into bite size pieces, put back in the soup pot and stir everything together.
6) Turn off the heat and add the lime juice, cilantro. Ladle into bowls.
7) Scatter the tortillas over the top of the soup and top with some cream cheese.